Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-COV-2). It was first discovered in December 2019 in Wuhan, China, and has since spread globally. There are more than 4.2 million cases globally resulting in more than 279000 deaths.
Symptoms of Covid-19
Coronavirus symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath, loss of smell and taste. Majority of cases result in acute respiratory distress syndrome, blood clots, multi-organ failure and septic shock.
When an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks, droplets with the virus fly into the air from their nose or mouth. Anyone who is within 1 metre of that person can breathe those droplets into their lungs which causes the spread of novel Coronavirus.
If an infected person touches any surface that becomes contaminated and if a healthy person touches the same surface he/she may get infected.
- Wash hands properly using soap and water or alcohol based hand sanitizer.
- Maintain social distancing
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cover your your face using a mask
- Stay in quarantine
- If you have fever, cough and difficulty in breathing, seek medical attention.
According to WHO, there are no vaccines nor any antiviral treatments for covid-19. Many countries are trying to develop a vaccine, it is believed that the vaccine will be ready to use by the year 2021.
Who is at high risk for Coronavirus?
The virus that causes Covid-19 infects people of all ages. However, older people (over 60 years of age), and those with underlying medical conditions are slightly at higher risk.
Travelers returning from internationalareas where there is high concentration of covid-19.
Steps to keep stress undercontrol
- Stay Healthy- Eat a balanced diet, get plenty of sleep, do regular excercise
- Don’t Panic- You can do this by staying informed and knowing the facts.
- Get your news from trusted sources- Read or go through only those news articles which are provided by trusted sources such as WHO.
- Wash your hands frequently- Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds after every 2 hours.